Tuesday, August 19, 2014

A child's adoration, an adult's dream & a true legend

Mr8: "Mum, did you go to school with Mark?"
Me: "No my sweets, whys that?"
Mr8: "Well if you did, you could marry him. Do you know how cool that would be?"
Me: "Why?"
Mr8: "Because he's the Undertaker! Gees mum." 

That was the Tuesday special conversation going to school this morning. My darling son has my love life all planned out in his world. It wasn't so long ago he wanted me to marry Sting, only cause he looks cool. But the Undertaker is his favourite and apparently I'm going to be his next wife, lmao good luck with that son. 
But regardless, our conversation did get me thinking on my way home. There's many out there that really can't deny having a "thing" for the Taker. Hell, I'll put my hand up. Mr Calaway is a very impressive and admirable man. Anyways, that's not my reason for this blog. My son watched the Scooby Doo movie with WWE not that long ago, he was amazed when I started mentioning the names of the wrestlers to him. He hadn't really been into the wrestling at that point. Now, well it's quite a different story. Fortunately, he missed that Neanderthal end the streak. Unfortunately my son hasn't had the pleasure of watching the Taker wrestle in a live match. Thankfully for you tube and the WWE Network he is able to watch past matches. The one match never seen and probably never will be seen in our house is WM30. Just like every other Taker fan, my boy can't wait to for him to come back. I'd love to see him back too, but at what price? I have seen so many things written for Taker in the last few months. Everything including happy retirement & thanks to when people think that the Taker will come back. I have to admit, it all kind of disappoints me. 
The wrestlers we watch, they all have a personality, a life outside of their portrayed characters. We all know this, without a doubt. But do we all acknowledge that when we're yearning to see them in the ring? Do we tend to forget that while it would be exciting to feel the kind of adrenalin or adoration or jet setting lifestyle they experience that at the same time many of the wrestlers would like the simple things we have day to day? Things such as coming home every night to our family and enjoying a meal, going on that family holiday with nothing more than approved holidays only a few weeks beforehand. Each and everyday, these guys and girls are busting their arses to be the next champion, the next number one contender. Yes, they are well aware of what's involved but everything in life has a price, everything eventually takes it toll. 
There are so many wrestlers that have spent more time going from city to city and being on our tv screens than they have with their own families. They go through battles like all of us, they aren't bulletproof. We always seem to want the things other people have and forget the beauty and wonder of life that's standing right in front of us. 
Mr Calaway is a hero of mine. Hopefully one day I'll get around to taking my son to see him, fingers crossed at least. I admire all he has done, in and outside if the ring. I hope we do see you back in the ring at some point. More importantly, enjoy your time away from the rat race & spending it with your beautiful family. We hope you're feeling good and recovering well. You never know what the future holds, maybe you'll make the tour when WWE returns to Australia. Until then...
From my family to your own, sending you much love & blessings. Rest up, have fun & wreak havoc when it's needed :-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment