Saturday, August 24, 2013

An Open View in a Closed Dimension

Was I disappointed last night? Of course I was, we didn't deserve to win after the amount of missed opportunities from our boys. We could've, should've, would've won. But we didn't. I was just as disappointed in the booing of Jobe Watson. I know what I may say will not go down well amongst some, but for this blog I am taking off my Carlton cap and plainly wearing my AFL cap. If I, like many others didn't love the game of AFL I certainly wouldn't have my own set team that I follow. I was raised a Carlton supporter, even though my household is greatly divided. My father is Carlton through and through, my mother is just as loyal to her beloved Swans. A brother for Carlton and my oldest brother has been Essendon for roughly 27 years. And not one of us are from Melbourne nor do we live in Victoria. 
Yes it has been very hard to see him go through this saga with the amount of passion he has for his club. Hell I would've have been just as emotional and disappointed but yet still loyal if it was my club. I have spoken many times with my bro about this ongoing issue and no result of any particular match or the possible outcome of any sanctions handed to Essendon has influenced me all season. I believe that any club if found in breach of the code rules and regulations should justifiably pay the penalties given to them, I do not believe that any matter should be handled like a witch hunt. 
There has been much speculation of Essendon losing points, draft priorities, fines and suspensions. Say they do lose points and Carlton make the 8, it would be a very hard pill to swallow for me. I don't feel we have done enough to warrant a spot in the 8 this season. Looking at the result from a purely AFL fan's perspective, the AFL need to hand down whatever it feels necessary to be seen as being proactive against code breaches and to save the integrity of our great game. Regardless of which team is sitting 9th, because honestly I don't care which of the 17 clubs that is, if the AFL feel that a spot in the 8 could of been held by a team without the speculated assistance that has been reported that the Bombers have had then they need to do what they see fit. 
Of course I'd be happy to see my beloved team in the finals, that's what every supporter of their club wants to see. But that still doesn't take away the fact that many of us feel we don't deserve that, but as I said, if the AFL and possibly the other 17 clubs feel that they could've made the 8 previously and fairly then that's what will happen.
I'll admit, I feel for the whole Essendon community. This is something that is bigger than just the game. There are mothers, fathers, siblings, sons & daughters, wives & girlfriends, extended family and friends that this all affects. Would I stand by and watch my brothers be called a drug cheat? Hell no, would you? As far as I've heard, the only substances that have been given a name to the public, were not deemed banned at the time. This information is easily found, I found that myself 4 months ago and informed my brother of that before either one of us had heard it mentioned to the wider public. Now I'm not claiming to know all the details, anyone would be stupid to do so outside of those involved. But I'm not looking at this as a one-eyed bias supporter of any one particular club either. For the love of the game, look at what is the big picture. If by chance, Carlton are slotted in the 8, for each and every finals win we may have, and if we dare to dream, a 17th premiership comes our way, a part of me will always dedicate it to our brothers and sisters of the AFL community from another club. We are all united by our love of footy regardless of the teams we choose to follow. 
The role of any official, therapist, medical professional in a club no matter the sport, is to provide the best possible service to their club and their athletes. There will always be people and great new technology, newer therapies and aids that will test and push the boundaries. We all only ever want the best for our sporting hero's. While there is a lot going on within this saga, sometimes we all need to take a step back, forget our bias and look at every aspect of the situation. Just remember, through the actions of others this is could just as easily be any one of our clubs that this happens to. 
To my Blues family, I love our club and I know that we all have different views and opinions, many of you will not agree with mine. That is ok, but I will not apologise for putting my love of our game before the passion of my club. Without the game, there is no team. 
To all those in the Essendon community, I hope this is resolved swiftly but smartly and that the penalties handed down are justifiable and not over the top. I hope, that if there are suspensions, that those affected are back in due course. On a personal note to Jobe, I admire you, always have. You are a champion and from what I see, a top bloke. Hold your head high Jobe, you have every right to do so. To Jimmy, you were a player we hated to oppose. You grew into a champion of our game and have developed into a great coach and clubman for Essendon. No one is naive enough to think that this saga will not tarnish the club or anyone from there. But that's the beauty of mistakes. Wrongs can be righted and attitudes changed. I personally, will always have great respect for you, yes right now I am disappointed. But you will be there, you will grow and learn from this and I have no doubt at all, that you will be an even stronger force to be reckoned with when the right time comes. 

This has been one of the longest blogs I have done in sometime, but looking from the outside, there is just too much stupidity being thrown around and neglecting the truths. Please refrain from being abusive or nasty if leaving comments. This is only my opinion, I respect those of everyone else's but I will not have my thoughts influenced by those that are different to my own. I don't tell you what to think so please be respectful of what others think. I myself, see fit to be able to voice my own opinion as should everyone without being disrespectful and nasty to others. As a mother to a young son who wants to grow up to be in the AFL, I hope that our game's image recovers and come backs even better than it has been. To those who have taken the time to read this, thank you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment